Practitioners

Recipes to help you through the Christmas festivities!

Our team has scanned the best recipes across the internet to bring together four easy-to-prep, easy-to-cook Christmas dishes that will help you stay fuller for longer, use up those leftovers, help you keep to your budget and may even make you happier (food can do that, check out Holly’s recipe)!

 

 

Love or loathe the festive period one thing is for sure is that you will eat and you will drink! I love to cook, it’s a passion of mine, but even I can get cooking fatigue at Christmas. It can seem like an endless cookathon! 

 

We believe that armed with these four recipes you’ll be able to keep up those lovely long winter walks knowing that you’ve prepped lunch or dinner ahead of time or that you have a super quick recipe on board to feed yourself and guests in minutes! 

 

Bring on the festivities I hear you cry!  

 

Without further ado, here are our picks…

 

Squash Pistachio Roast

Bevelee’s choice (that’s me) is Jamie Oliver’s Persian Roast dish.

This recipe uses store cupboard herbs and spices.  Packed with nuts that are full of protein and healthy fats and topped with feta cheese you’ll be happy to say farewell to the roast spud with this meal. 

 

The main is cleverly paired with a tangy tomato sauce both of which contain cinnamon and wonderful spice perfect for lowering blood sugars. 

Serve with a heap of greens such as Cavelo Nero or pan-fried Brussels and a handful of roasted carrots! Yum.

 

We recommend substituting the sweet dried fruits for 2 teaspoons of yeast extract such as marmite for that extra umami flavour – and to save your blood sugars.

 

This dish can very easily be made vegan by switching the egg for chia seeds and the feta for some vegan cashew cheese. 

 

Bevelee is our guest writer from Elsewhere Kitchen.

 

Turkey Ramen

Next up, Krista has chosen a protein-rich Turkey Ramen from Olive Magazine.

Packed with immune-loving nutrients from shiitake mushrooms, brain-healthy fats from the free-range eggs and skin-loving collagen from bone broth stock made from your turkey carcass (hold some of that stock back for Holly’s recipe too)! You can make the stock ahead of time and freeze it for ease. 

With a great balance of fats, proteins and fibre, this ramen will keep you full until your next meal by helping to promote satiety and blood sugar balance.

This recipe can easily be made vegan or vegetarian by switching the turkey for tofu and the egg for chickpeas.

Turkey Meatball Soup

Holly chose a delicious Cavalo Nero, turkey meatball, and cannellini soup to keep you warm after long Christmas walks.

Quick to assemble and filling, you’ll be eating this nutrient-dense soup before your toes defrost. This recipe is full of fibre, healthy fats and gut-healing bone broth. 

Holly has switched out the sausages for tryptophan-rich turkey – check out her version here. Tryptophan acts as a natural mood enhancer, supporting your serotonin pathway and production – always helpful during busy periods such as Christmas! Holly has also switched the simple stock for gut-healing bone broth made from your meat carcass.

Mozzarella Bread Tree

Lastly, Natalie’s centrepiece is a cracker with a Mozzarella Bread Tree!

Delightful to look at and delicious too, you’ll wow your guests with this mouth-watering keto bread. Yes, you read that right!

Packed with protein and fibre for blood sugar balance, and herbs and garlic for heart and gut health. Pair this with a homemade pesto for extra cheer and health benefits.

You can enjoy every mouthful without experiencing that energy slump that often accompanies eating traditional carbohydrates such as bread because, unlike an ultra-processed shop-bought loaf, this homemade version won’t give you that blood sugar spike that then leads to a crash.

No 3 pm Christmas nap needed this year! 

 

The 80/20 rule

Our team would gently like to remind you of the 80/20 rule. Eat nutritious food 80% of the time and be flexible with the remaining 20%.

This can be very helpful at times of celebration allowing some indulgence and social meal experiences without being too hard on yourself! 

 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, from the Integral Wellness team x

Recipes sorted. What about staying healthy this winter?

Don't worry, we've got you covered for that too.